Thursday, September 20, 2007

Reconciled

Someone was talking to me today about reconciliation and just what it was all about...so I began looking, not for my benefit, I know the deal, but listen to this...

1. Leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.
2. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

So why oh why oh why am I faced with people who pretend to be 'in Christ' yet no matter how many times you go on bended humiliated knees they look down with rank disdain and with a mighty swing of their hobnailed gospel shoes they kick your teeth right down your friggin throat.
Im sick and tired of people making out they are God's people but who run roughshod over the teachings of Christ. I think Gandhi (Hindu) was more like Jesus than some 'saved' people I know.

So here is the outcome of my mini rant, if you have anything against a brother, a grudge say, or you look down on them, or cannot forgive them, or think yourself more highly and yet you minister at the altar (as all God's people do) then your ministry is a sham, a clanging cymbal, a dark void.
You see if God reconciled you and gave you the ministry of reconciliation, yet you refuse to be reconciled to others, then you, counting mens sins against them, stop the world from being reconciled to God.

Sorry if all that seems a bit harsh or strong, but these things really hinder the gospel, and I have a far greater loyalty to the gospel of Jesus than to any one persons sensibilities.

8 comments:

dinsy said...

But where does this leave the one who wants to be reconciled, but the other party refuses?

I suppose if both parties are in the same church, then if the church is doing it's role properly the elders will be involved and church discipline comes into action against the refusing party -is that what should happen?

But what if it's an inter-church thing, or not church related at all? What if you want to be reconciled within a family and one party will not?

What can you do?

One thinks of Jesus weeping over Jerusalem, Jesus made the ultimate act of reconcilation for us, and yet still some of us (both in the world and the church) refuse to accept it.

What more can He do?

Dave Lynch said...

What more can He do?

Good question, and I there is no more he can do because he has done it already.

You see I reckon that in his immense grace he has created a place for all those who cannot reconcile, who will not forgive, who choose not to love, to go and live forever.

It will be the wasteland of the unreconciled, the barrenness of the unforgiving and the desert of hatred. A place where they can go and live out the rest of eternity in their unforgiving hateful unreconciled lives.

Oh to be sure they can always repent and flee the wasteland and live in the kingdom of heaven, but if they cannot do it when the light is with them then what chance when they live in darkness!

Anonymous said...

I want to say, Get a grip on yourself. How do you know for sure that there is disdain. Perhaps, if you feel someone is wronging you by the way they are treating you, then you need to go to them and say so. That would be the Biblical thing to do. Have you gone in person to those people on bended humiliated knees and still they respond with disdain? Then you need to go to them and tell them they are wronging you. But you also need to forgive them for their unforgiveness.

Dave Lynch said...

Okay anon, first off please do not post anon, and secondly yes I have been to them. Do you think I would post what I did if I had not!!!

This post was primarily not about me but about what is taught about reconciliation, my case is just one of many I know throughout my area where people are refusing to be reconciled.

Okay so say I forgive them their unforgiveness (which I do) it does not stop the fact that they preach Christ yet do not obey him.

These people show they have no part of Christ and his Kingdom, that is sad, and yet not wholly unexpected.

It does not matter, my post was just a rant, I have done all I can, if they desire to kill their own spiritual life then there is nothing more I can do.

Shieldsy said...

Is it just me or is the irony of this post not breathtaking!

Are you really having a rant because people did not receive your attempts at reconciliation?! Isn't that a bit like being bitter about someone not accepting your forgiveness?

Don't you now need to go and make peace with them for being angry /judgemental of them for not accepting your attempts at reconciliation with them?!! Are you now in some sort of infinite loop! :oP

Anonymous said...

What is up with some people, the post was about being unrecconciled...I am not unreconciled with anyone!!!!!!!

Whats so hard to work out, it is hypocrisy that is the killer of the church's witness, Jesus said much the same.

Maybe you prefer to look at the outward appearance to judge a person, seems like a bad plan to me.
Dave

Anonymous said...

From time to time (two occasions, precisely), I have unwittingly offended ministers with some comment or remark. When called to account, I asked sincerely for their forgiveness. In fact, I begged for them to grant me their forgiveness.

Years later in one case, I am still waiting. Obviously, it is truly the case that some ministers see forgiveness as the duty only of the sheep.

I must and do accept this. I have also forgiven their unforgiveness.

Anonymous said...

Thanks anon,

Though you may accept their unwillingness to forgive, someone much bigger will not, so we leave it to him.

We will offend people without knowing it, that is what happens when humans have relationships, we also may bless and encourage without knowing it as well. We can only put right those things we are aware of.
In some cases (I am speaking from experience now) people may be offended by hearsay and second hand stories. I have people who think poorly of me and are unreconciled because they have 'heard' a rumour about me, yet they will not contact me.
So sometimes we remain unforgiven for a crime we never committed.

In all these things we can only respond the way jesus did, to bless and not curse, and to forgive, this is the ONLY way to find freedom.
Peace
Dave

 

Free Blog Counter