Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Kingdom Gym

I was in the gym yesterday morning (they seem to be called fitness centres now), and was working the rowing machine, I was rowing hard and getting nowhere, well the display said I had rowed 5000m, but I was still in the same place and dry.
In front of me was a huge mirror, floor to ceiling, enabling me to see how red and tired I looked, as I looked round I noticed the whole room was mirrored, I guess indicating that the designers thought that everyone would want to see themselves?

Peterson in the Message, commenting on 1 Tim 4:8 says...

Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever. You can count on this. Take it to heart. This is why we've thrown ourselves into this venture so totally. We're banking on the living God, Savior of all men and women, especially believers.

So there I am, rowing away and thinking that in the Kingdom of God we exercise ourselves in spiritual matters, bringing us into a disciplined life for God, and by disciplined I mean we are always ready to do the exercises of the Kingdom, bearing one another, speaking truth to each other and forgiving one another.
The difference in the Kingdom is that there are no big mirrors for us to pose in front of, self reflection that allows us to say 'look how fit I am', or 'see how well I am doing' is simply using the same mirrors that Sardis and Laodecia (Rev 3) used.
If we really do want to look at ourselves through something other than a mirror dimly, then we do have a divine mirror that sets our self image in the correct cosmic position. You see we can look at our self in the reflection of Jesus Christ.
How fit am I in forgiveness compared with Jesus. How fit am I in love compared with Jesus. How fit am I in compassion compared with Jesus. How fit am I in non condemnation compared with Jesus, the list goes on.
So we do not compare ourselves with each other, turning each other into spiritual rivals, competing as in a normal gym, we compare ourselves with the divine Son, and we encouraged and exhort each other daily to seek those things from above.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Excellent post, Dave, which also reminded me I must get down to the gym.

 

Free Blog Counter