Monday, August 28, 2006

Childish Thoughts for a Monday Morning

When I was young I lay in bed thinking 'just how far does space extend'? Whenever I came to the knowledge that I had found its terminus, and the brief respite it afforded, I was always saddened by the realisation that space actually extended further than I thought.

Now as an adult I lie in bed thinking 'just how far does God's grace extend'? Whenever I come to the knowledge that I have found its terminus, and the brief melancholy it produces, I am always overjoyed by the realisation that grace actually extends further than I thought.

Is there anyone you think God's grace will not extend to? If you think there is someone, then that very someone will become you.

3 comments:

dinsy said...

Excellent thought-provoking post Dave. But you managed to confuse me with your last sentence - "If you think there is someone, then that very someone will become you."

Do you mean you will become like the "someone" whom you are disallowing from God's grace, or do you mean that by denying grace to someone, you put yourself beyond reach of God's grace?

Dave said...

I thought the last sentence would do that, I removed it and reinstated it a few times...what does it mean?

For me it meant simply as you said you will become like the "someone" whom you are disallowing from God's grace.
Yet I think your second statement also carries a ring of truth as well that by denying grace to someone, you put yourself beyond reach of God's grace?

How could we witness and taste the extent of God's grace to us and yet deny it could extend to another, would we not disqualify ourselves from the grace of God? If someone asks God for mercy we should let God answer, and not judge what God will say by our own heart, and God will say Yes.

Just posted a news story that may reflect this better.

dinsy said...

This reminds me of a saying that goes something like "What we condemn most in others, we have already condemned and denied about ourselves".

Don't know if this is universally true, but it is illustrated well in your news story. And it is always worth asking of oneself when criticising someone else for something - "How am I like them, when do I do that." Planks and specks again, I guess.

 

Free Blog Counter