Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Plastic Jesus

Found this article over at Mr Preacher

Have you accepted the pre-packaged, hermetically sealed, only 19.95 if you act now, Jesus! Why I’m sure you’ve heard of him! He’s a very serious man who always seems to be carrying sheep. He doesn’t tolerate long hair on boys, smoking or dancing. He’s very strict about what people wear and cares a lot more about what denomination you belong to than he does a silly thing like your soul. Maybe you’ve heard of him.

Is that the Jesus you imagine? Is that who you’ve lived your life ignoring, worshipping or reading about? It’s not true, you know? We’ve created God in our own image because, I believe, the wild, passionate God-man presented in the Biblical narrative is much more than our modern, syrupy sweet Christianity can handle.

As Author Wilbur Rees once wrote:

“I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please, not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. . . . I want ecstasy, not transformation; I want the warmth of the womb, not a new birth. I want about a pound of the Eternal in a paper sack. I would like to buy $3 worth of God, please.”

We can’t, nor do we want to, handle the real Jesus. And our depiction of him would be laughable if so many people didn’t believe that it were true. The problem, many times, isn’t that people who hate God despise the God they know, but that they despise a god who truly does not exist. They despise a god who is some twisted form of the actual Creator, dreamt up by religious zealots. In other words, many people who turn away from God have not truly turned away from Jehovah God, but some perverted depiction of God.

So, maybe the reason our churches are shrinking isn’t because the world is in “such bad shape,” but rather because our faith is in such shambles. The world’s always been this sick. Find your excuse elsewhere. Maybe, just maybe, the fault lies with us. We’ve exchanged love and relationship for tracts and door-knocking. We’ve traded the eternal God for a hand puppet. We’ve reduced Jesus to a figurehead. God forgive us.


3 comments:

billy westwood said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
billy westwood said...

Hi Dave,

I know you are going to hate this but I went to world revival church to see televangelists Paula White last night. She did not get off the plane until 9.30 pm, so we worshipped and then brazilian pastor preached and then we worshipped even more.

The reason I mention it is because in many ways it was what you expect from a megachurch, but it was brazilian and off the chain. It was attending a Christian carnivale. It was a marathon worship service. Can not wait for more tonight. I had no idea that they had churches that really worship in Boston. Well, I thought that I had found one small one.

http://www.revivalinboston.com

Dave said...

Sounds good derek, I pray you will continue to be blessed by your being with these others, don't know Paula White so cannot comment, I pray Boston will be affected by this

 

Free Blog Counter