Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Prayer - we have a problem




Once when Jesus had been out praying, one of his disciples came to him as he finished and said, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."

Now why did Jesus not tell the disciples to gather in a circle, instruct Judas to start and Peter to close the prayer, and each one pray in a clockwise direction.

You know I am really shaken, whilst driving home from Ullapool last night at 4.30am in the truck, dodging suicidal deer, one thought came to me again and again 'I don't know how to pray, not really pray'.

You see I have never asked Jesus to teach me to pray, oh I know how to do 'Shiny Bill's 5 steps to god moving prayer', but not 'Jesus 1 step to blood shedding Gethsemane prayer'

As John taught his disciples may Jesus teach his disciples today, as we utter the only prayer we are capable of 'Lord, teach me how to pray'.

2 comments:

Dinsy said...

When we were listening to the Good Shepherd teaching of Hector and Noel at the weekend, the thought came to me: How much more about the Kingdom of God do we actually understand today than the disciples did when Jesus was teaching them?

I think we know a bit more about what it is not than they did, but what it actually is? I'm not so sure.

Dave said...

The Kingdom is dynamic, when we think we know it surprises us, the disciples never manage to box it and sell it as a formula, it remained to be found by each subsequent generation, we too need to find it, like a precious pearl.

The good thing is that God has not made it obscure and hard to find, the bad thing is we remain responsible for what we do when we find it - bury it in traditionalities field, try to control it and make it captive to our wills - or do we let it escape through us to others, lighting the way and bringing release to the captive.

 

Free Blog Counter